Saturday, April 26, 2008

Gone too soon

I attended the funeral of Becky Brinton Jorganson yesterday. I had known her since early school days and she was in the ward I grew up in. I had lost contact with the family until her sister, Chris Hughes, moved into my current ward. Becky lived with Chris for a while. I was able to be her visiting teacher for a few months and enjoyed my visits with her. While living with Mike and Chris, she had a bout with cancer. She went through the surgery and chemo and came through it all with a positive attitude. Then she had another bout - surgery, chemo, radiation, still positive and upbeat. Then it hit her lungs - while on chemo. I can't imagine her ordeal - the pain, being sick, then finally knowing that her life would soon be over. But she stayed so strong and positive. She managed to attend the temple once a week as well as make any one who talked to her think that they were the only person that mattered. She left behind 2 sons, a pregnant daughter and her grandchildren - and her parents, 4 sisters and a brother. Her brother, Bobby, talked about salvation at the funeral. He made the comment that God knows when it's our time. He knew it was Becky's - Bobby said he couldn't think of a greater blessing than to have his sister waiting to greet him when he returns home.

I can't imagine burying my parents, nor my sisters, and never my children or grandchildren. I have to go first. But at my funeral, Bryan and Carolyn have to talk - and be funny. Kelly can give the spiritual talk and Jodie and Becky can plan the party after the funeral. And I mean party - cotton candy, popcorn, and sodas for everyone. And if it can be arranged, the In-n-Out truck!!!!!!! I'll have a double double with grilled onions.

2 comments:

Jodie said...

I'm glad you have asked me to plan the party instead of the spiritual talk! I didn't know Becky passed away. The greatest comfort is knowing that our loves are in the Lord's hands! What will be, will be. Love you

B Kerr Fam said...

She was in Lisa's ward in Placentia and was there every Sunday with her grandson. It is amazing how small the world is.

I would love to give the funny talk, Carolyn would have to go first so I could fill in the blanks and she could sit and wet herself!!!!

Why spiritual? After I am done no one will want to stop laughing.